What Should I Do First?

If you or your loved one has been injured in a car accident or on another person's property or commercial premises, these guidelines will assist you.

  At the time of the event:
  • Make detailed notes about the other drivers involved in the accident including license plate, make and model of car, driver's name, driver's license number, phone and address, insurance company and policy number.
  • Get medical help for your injuries.
  • Insist that a police or highway patrol officer comes to the accident scene and makes a report. If possible, obtain the report or incident number and the officer's name and badge number.
  • Discuss the accident with the police only. DO NOT give a statement to any insurance company representative, even your own, before speaking with your attorney.
  • Take pictures of the accident scene and your damaged vehicle before it is repaired using a camera or a camera-phone. Photograph in color and close-up, your physical injuries such as bruises, scrapes, burns, cuts and scars before they heal.
  • Make a sketch of and take notes about the accident and collision scene, location, time of day, property damage and your injuries. Preserve any evidence that is available to you.
  • Obtain witness contact information (phone numbers, address, place of work, e-mail) before they leave the scene. Ask them to make detailed notes of how the incident occured.
  • Keep accurate records of your wages and lost time from work.
  • Retain the receipts and paperwork related to your injuries.


Home | What Should I Do First? | Attorney Profile | Frequently Asked Questions| Testimonials | Contact Us
California Personal Injury Lawyer Disclaimer: The California personal injury information presented on this site is not intended to constitute legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. The sending of an inquiry or information to us by e-mail or other means does not create an attorney-client relationship, which can only be created by a written agreement signed by both the client and attorney. Please contact a personal injury attorney for consultation on your particular personal injury matter. This website is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside the state of California.